Saturday, September 12, 2009

The magazine hunt

I want to get a magazine in the mail once a month. I really want that happy jolt of seeing it and reading it.
However I seem to be in a inbetween thing. I don't have kids. I am older then Cosmo or Glamour magazine. Seriously those two magazines have me rolling my eyes at half the stuff in them.
I don't want a only cooking magazine or gardening or home furnishing. I don't want a cat or dog or fix it up type magazine.
I want a magazine for a woman like me. A long term relationship, no children, homebody who is past the clubbing, seeking a mate, dress in super short cute clothes phase.

So I decided to do a test. I went out in the past week and bought 5 magazines. Ok I borrowed one and had the honey buy me two so in actuality I only bought 3.

I bought "women's" magazines. And I felt old. I felt really old. Like grandma moses buys magazines old. How stupid. But I have only seen these magazines at older relatives house and now here I am... buying them.

I bought the following: Redbook, Better homes and gardens, Woman's day, Family circle and Ladies home journal.

See why I feel old. Sigh....

I have read the Better Homes and Gardens. That is not the kind of magazine I am looking for. It did have a few good recipes but it was mostly furniture and plants. Not what I was looking for.

I read the Redbook. This one has the most potential so far. It had advice and cute articles. A little clothes. A little furniture. A story. Recipes. It wasn't bad at all.

I still have to read Ladies home journal, family circle and Woman's day.

Anyone else got any advice on what magazines are good? The kid across the street is doing a magazine drive for her school and I told her to come on Monday and I would order one. Hopefully one of these are IT. If not that Redbook was pretty darn good.

3 comments:

  1. My all time favorite is Real Simple. Decorating tips, recipes, etc. Defintely not old lady material and young clubbing type material. It's the only magazine I have delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. National Geographic was the bomb. Grandma got it. It's not just critters and starving people. It had a ton of stuff in it. I had forgotten all about that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with National Geographic - I love that stuff

    ReplyDelete