Monday, October 19, 2009

I talk to much

I have a bad habit of running my mouth too much. In fact several of my reviews at different jobs over the years have said I need to listen more and not talk so much. So, it is not just limited to my personal life. It bleeds into my working life too.

I can tell you when it started. But I sure as hell can't figure out how to stop the habit and trust me I have tried.

See, when I was little my mother moved. A Lot. A whole fucking hell of a lot. At least once a year normally. And always in the middle of a school year. This means at least once a year I started a new school. For those of you who transfered schools you know how hard it is to come into the middle of a year when everyone was all ready established in their little groups.

I learned three lessons from that. Three coping things that I have brought with me into adulthood.

1. Smile even when you are terrified and make sure the smile is in your eyes too.
2. Say hello to anyone and everyone. One of them is bound to talk to you and maybe befriend you.
3. Talk. Talk a lot and maybe someone will listen and talk back.

The easiest for me to do was the smile and hello. The talking took on a life of it's own after a while.
The talking covers up insecurities I still have to this day. The "will they like me", "will I make a fool of myself", "am I good enough", "if I talk maybe they won't notice I am not perfect, pretty, skinny, happy"
I tend to talk first in any normal situation. "Hello"
I fill up silence with chatter. I talk. A Lot.

Sometimes in my quest to be "normal" or "likable" I talk to much. I say things out of turn. I make a ass out of myself.

Trust me I do this in type too. On message boards I frequent or blogs I comment on.

In my quest to be "someone" I can overstep a bit. I just don't know how not to. It has gotten so deep inside me that I don't know if I could not talk so much.

Because you see inside I am still that frightened person. I still want to be accepted for who I am. I still don't feel like I fit in anywhere. I still don't feel pretty or perfect or skinny or happy.

So I talk. And freaking talk.

I still say hello to almost every person I come into face to face contact. I still smile with my mouth and eyes. But inside I am cringing a whole lot. I don't want to be rejected and I am positive that I will be. So instead of giving you that chance I smile at you and talk. And talk.

I wish I didn't feel that need anymore. I wish that I could fix this problem of mine. I mean it must be a problem if even my works noticed it. But I don't know how. I don't magicly see myself becoming confident.

So I guess.... I guess I will continue to talk to much.

7 comments:

  1. Give yourself a Break!! You are so hard on YOU..it seems you dont like yourself..believe..I know how that is..but i find when I give myself a break and really try hard to find some good in me and like myself..i dont feel so insecure ..at least for a little while

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody; believe it or not that is normal. We all feel insecure from time to time (sometimes more than others). As I have advanced in life (notice I did NOT say aged!) I have discovered that if you fake confidence, AND have a great pair of shoes, you will gain confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the exact same thing!!! I don't know how to stop it though even though I have tried. The harder I try, the bigger ass I make out of myself. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend talks too much and some people dislike her for it, but I like it. I don't like talking too much and it is nice to listen sometimes, even if it is the same story Ive heard a billion times :D

    So, don't worry! Some of us like to listen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Guys.

    Actually I lucked out in that regard Raine, my friend Sazy likes to listen. She is quiet to my blabbing lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always said my ego was like an ice cream cone. Big fat and round at one end, dwindling down to infinite nothing at the other end. As for showing my ass, It seemed like I could go pro in my youth, but I have really cut back since I quit being around people so much.
    I think I would probably not use my real identity if I could re-enter the blogosphere. Some of the stuff I have left/posted is asinine, much more suited to an alter-ego.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all have our coping mechanisms. It's nothing to be ashamed of. The only way to change it (if that's what you want to do) is to address the underlying concerns that you're trying to cope with.

    I wouldn't worry too much about it. From what I know of you, I don't think you talk too much, and you seem like a genuine, honest, decent, kind person that anyone would like if they got the chance.

    Take a breath girl!

    ReplyDelete