Friday, October 16, 2009

Last night

Last night I heard a fire truck pull up in front of my house. I walked outside to see them heading into my neighbors house. Within minutes a second and third fire truck pulled up. Then two police cars.
From the fire truck cb thing I hear their address and that a 58 year old woman was not breathing.
The neighbors started coming out of their houses.
An ambulance arrived and the paramedics rushed inside too.
They stayed in there for almost 45 minutes. All the neighbors banded together worrying. Waiting.
The firemen came out first. They huddled around the truck putting things away. Then the ambulance people came out with a stretcher. We all breathed a sigh of relief. If they were bringing her out on the stretcher she had to be fine right?
Wrong.
She wasn't on the stretcher. It was just filled with equipment.
My neighbor, a woman with three teenage children still in the house, had passed away.
Shock went through us all. The poor family. The poor husband.
All the fire trucks and the ambulance left leaving only the police to wait for the coroner. An hour passed and still no one came to get her body. Her body that was laying on the living room floor.
A police woman came over and asked if I could get a phone number to a mortuary for her. They called the mortuary to come pick her up since the coroner didn't seem to be doing it.

This morning I watched the family get into the car with a "suit of clothes". My heart broke into pieces for them.

That makes the third person on this block to die within the last three months including my uncle.

My emotions are all over the place. It was like being shoved back into the time of my uncles death. I couldn't sleep.

I need to go to the store and get some food to make for them today. I need to show them how very sorry I am for their loss.

This just really sucks.

3 comments:

  1. 3rd person to die in three months on the same block? There isn't anything fishy going on is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg this made me cry, I am so sorry for what you are going through and their loss. When my step dad died the whole world of death changed for me and is forever different. Whenever someone dies, like just reading your story, I am thrown back into those old feelings. I completely understand what you are feeling. I am so sorry for you. :(

    ReplyDelete